Join library staff for March’s Library News podcast which features:
- A recap of the 2023 Iowa Regional Braille Challenge and STEM Fest
- Top ten most downloaded nonfiction books on BARD
- Upcoming Makerspace Monday and other youth programming
- Information about the Library’s participation in the upcoming Des Moines Book Festival
- Save the date for the Elizabeth Perowsky Workshop and Luncheon
- And Programs from the National Library Services for the Blind and Print Disabled
February’s Library Chat Podcast is all about Braille, the Braille Challenge and our accessible STEM Fest. Library staff discuss the Iowa Regional Braille Challenge and the IDB STEM Fest that was hosted by the Library at the Iowa Department for the Blind on Saturday, February 25, 2023. Jodi, Angie and Leland had a chance to talk with the students participating in the Braille Challenge, their parents and IDB staff about braille. The podcast also features a song created and performed by Frank Strong especially for the Braille Challenge and a rap that staff member, Jodi Aldini wrote and performed highlighting the Braille Challenge participants.
Iowa Braille Challenge T-Shirts are still available until Friday, March 3rd!
Link to Online Store
To help us celebrate the 2023 Iowa Regional Braille Challenge and Braille literacy, we are pleased to work with local, small business The Side Garage this year for the Braille Challenge t-shirt. The theme for 2023 is Braille! Let the Sunshine In.
All shirts are crew neck and short sleeved. Shirts are heather yellow with black lettering. The front of the t-shirt says in print: BRAILLE let the sunshine in., with a graphic of a sun with a smiling face surrounded by sunbeams, hidden in some of the sunbeams is the word braille in braille. The back of the t-shirt says, BRAILLE let the sunshine in, in braille. All sizing is unisex and all shirts are $20.00. Participants of the Braille Challenge will be provided with a t-shirt that have been generously donated by the Friends of the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped.
Join library staff for February’s Library News podcast which features:
- Information about the Iowa Department for the Blind’s Legislative Open House on Monday, February 20th
- Information about the 2023 Iowa Regional Braille Challenge and STEM Fest
- Top ten most downloaded fiction books on BARD
- The library’s new Peek-A-Box program
- News from the National Library Services for the Blind and Print Disabled
- Upcoming youth programming and more…
January’s Library Chat begins a new chapter for the podcast. Library staff members, Sarah Willeford, Leslie Heinzler and Denise Bean introduce staff members, Angie Houk, Jodi Aldini, and Leland Smith who will be taking over the Library Chat Podcast starting in February. Sarah, Leslie and Denise had so much fun creating each episode and would like to thank everyone for listening. They can’t wait to hear what Angie, Jodi and Leland have instore for Library Chat.
Join library staff for January’s Library News podcast which features the top ten most downloaded nonfiction books on BARD, the library’s new Peek-A-Box program, upcoming NLS programming, Makerspace Monday, NLS’s new online catalog, information on the 2023 Iowa Regional Braille Challenge and more.
December’s Library Chat Podcast, celebrates one of our library staff members. Join us as we celebrate staff member, Karen Eis, on her 39th year with the Iowa Department for the Blind and the Library and on her upcoming retirement. Karen shares with us stories about the library, her role as a reader’s advisor, her work with the library collection and audio production, her favorite books and more.