Join the Big Library Read, the world’s largest digital book club. From June 28-July 12, readers can solve a compelling mystery in S.F. Kosa’s debut thriller, The Quiet Girl, ebook from their public library. Our library patrons can borrow the ebook for free without waiting by visiting Bridges. Readers can then discuss online at https://biglibraryread.com/join-the-discussion/.
Our library is a member of Bridges and our patrons have access to eBooks, audiobooks, and streaming video available to download. Digital content is borrowed for a set period of time and titles automatically expire at the end of the lending period- there are no late fees! Users can browse the library’s website, check out with a valid library card, and access borrowed titles via PC, Mac, and mobile devices with free desktop and mobile apps. For more information check out our Bridges page.
The Quiet Girl begins with struggling entrepreneur Alex’s arrival in Provincetown to patch things up with his new wife, Mina. He finds an empty wine glass in the sink, her wedding ring on the desk, and a string of questions in her wake. The police believe that Mina, a successful romance author, simply left, their marriage crumbling before it truly began. But what Alex finds in their empty cottage points him toward a different reality: Mina has always carried a secret. And now she’s disappeared. In his hunt for the truth, Alex comes across Layla, a young woman with information to share, who may hold the key to everything his wife has kept hidden. To find his missing wife, Alex must face what Layla has forgotten.
Readers can then discuss online at https://biglibraryread.com/join-the-discussion/.
The Iowa Library for Blind and Physically Handicapped is a part of a statewide consortium called Bridges. Bridges gives Iowa Library for the Blind patrons access to ebooks, audiobooks, streaming video and more! The Bridges collection is an addition to the library’s collection of NLS and Iowa Library for the Blind produced books. Patrons can check out and download their own books from the Bridges site. It is a very easy process. To check out items from Bridges follow the steps below:
- Go to the Bridges site: https://bridges.overdrive.com
- Choose the Sign In button
- Choose the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped from the list of libraries
- Enter your library card number and hit Sign In. Your library card number is your patron ID number and starts with the letter P followed by five or six digits. If you don’t know this number, call the library and we can tell you!
- Now you can search the collection!
- Once you find a book or other material you are interested in, select it and hit Borrow.
- Then you must select Borrow again.
- You will be given the opportunity to read it with a Kindle, read it in your browser or read it as an epub.
Things to keep in mind:
- We share this collection with participating libraries throughout the state, so there may be a wait list for the book you are interested in. Not all books will be available all the time. You are able to put a hold on the book you want and you will then receive an email when the book is available.
- The books or videos are borrowed for a set time and will automatically expire at end of the designated time (usually two weeks).
- There are no late fees!
If you have any questions about Bridges, please call the library at 515-281-1323.