- Week of June 15th
- Week of June 22nd
- Week of June 29th
- Week of July 13th
- Week of July 20th
- Week of July 27th
- IDB Read Kids: Tuesdays and Thursdays
We are offering an incredible online virtual experience this summer. This hands-on learning, includes singing, crafts, STEM learning activities, engaging sounds, reading and exploring new worlds that will openly welcome the unexpected. This Summer Reading Program will be launched on June 15th! Over six weeks there will be 18 virtual events that include, “A Trip Around the World”, “Exploring Nature Together”, “A Week of STEM”, “ANIMALS”, and last but not least “Race into Space”. As an extra treat you will be introduced to a very special guest, the fun is endless. Everyone who completes the program by reading 300 minutes and attends all 6 weeks of our incredible virtual summer events will be sent a summer reading t-shirt and certificate. If you are unable to attend one of our Virtual Events, we will be posting the activities and videos to this page to use any time.
Beanstack includes educational activities like; cool sounds, exciting activities, exploration and learning. It also allows you to log your minutes and activities in a quick and easy way using the Beanstack website. Earn badges and much more! If you prefer not to use Beanstack, you can receive a logbook to record the minutes your child will read this summer.
Questions: Contact Denise Bean, Youth Services Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org, 515-452-1338
Summer Reading Program Events Calendar
IDB Read Kids
Tuesdays and Thursdays from June 16th through July 13th from 1:00pm – 1:30pm
Join narrator Bob white as he reads Bunnicula and Howliday Inn by James Howe. For login information contact Denise Bean, email@example.com, 515-452-1338
June 15th, 17th and 19th at 1:00pm
Learning About the Weather Virtual Event
This virtual event is nothing short of thunderous fun and electric excitement! Have you ever wondered why the sound of thunder happens, or even why we have wind? Well, I know I do! Get ready to learn about the weather and even become a weather spotter! By attending our library’s virtual event you will learn about thunder, lightning, wind and snow plus so much more! Have fun exploring hands-on activities that are sure to be a wind storm learning of fun!
- June 15th:
- June 17th:
- June 19th:
June 22nd, 24th and 26th at 1:00pm
Get Ready to Race Into Space Virtual Event
Astronomy will come alive through the teachings of Dan Chibnall! We will learn all about the stars and galaxies and get your very own tactile constellation booklet. To top it all off in a twinkling star fashion you will learn the different sounds of the planets! Can you help me count down from ten, let’s go 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 BLAST OFF!
- June 22nd: Guest Speaker Dan Chibnall, STEM Librarian at Drake University
- June 24th: WIKKI Stick Constellation Design Challenge and Comet Activity
- June 26th: Moon Dough Activity, Gravity Test #1: Water Drop Activity and Gravity Test #2: The Feather and the Ball
June 29th, July 1st and July 6th at 1:00pm
Animal Virtual Event
This Virtual Event will be taking you on a safari adventure! Get ready to learn about habitats and more. You will listen to different animal sounds from around the world! Plus, learn all about special animal facts! I can’t wait to get started! We are going to have a ROARING good time!
- June 29th: Pet Rock Activity and Recipe Fun “Dog Chow”
- July 1st: Pine Cone Bird Feeder and Feather Bead Necklace Frenzy
- July 6th: Jellyfish, Sharks and Amazon Rain Stick Activity
July 13th, 15th and 17th at 1:00pm
Let’s Go On An Adventure Around the World Virtual Event
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to eat breakfast in Australia, or better yet, make a new friend from Australia, well I have good news for you! Pack your suitcase we are going on a trip to visit other countries. Don’t miss out, join us for a virtual week of learning, who knows, you may learn how to say hello in Chinese!
- July 13th: Chinese Tradition New Year’s Fan, The Mini Djembe Drum and Uruguay Leather Bookmark
- July 15th: Meet our special guest all the way from Australia! Healthy Banana Sushi Rolls, Fairy Bread from Australia, Mexico Fruit Paletas (Ice Pops) and Aboriginal Art
- July 17th: Flags for the World
July 20th, 22nd and 24th at 1:00pm
Exploring Nature Together Virtual Event
Are you ready to take a dive into the ocean with your librarian and listen to the sounds of the blue whale? During this virtual week you will explore the ocean, insects and last but least, the world of plants! You will become an honorary Bee hero and help save the world. This week of activity offers tremendous fun!
- July 20th: Will It Sink Or Will It Float Activity, Sandcastle Sand Art and How Do Fish Breath Under Water Activity
- July 22nd: The Cheetos Bee Pollination Test and Create a Bee Hotel
- July 24th: Carrot Stem Activity and Meet Max Your Friendly Chia Pet Buddy
July 27th, 29th and 31st at 1:00pm
Summer Fun and STEM Week Virtual Event
This week’s virtual event just may make your head spin! You will do experiments with water, such as, making a glass sing. Plus, check out this fun balloon activity straight from Steve Spangler’s science library! The entire family will have a screaming good time! Now for those of you who are stressed, let me see if I can help, join in making a Stress Ball Frenzy Activity. As our Summer Reading Program comes to a close you will learn all about how to make delicious ice-cream, who knows you may want to open your own ice cream stand next summer!
- July 27th: Will It Pop or Will It Not Experiment, Singing Glasses Experiment and Circle, Square or Triangle: Who is the Strongest Experiment
- July 29th: Singing Balloon Experiment and Stress Ball Frenzy
- July 31st: Ice Cream in a Bag Activity
Youth Services Library