The Iowa Library for Blind and Physically Handicapped is a part of a statewide consortium called Bridges. Bridges gives Iowa Library for the Blind patrons access to ebooks, audiobooks, streaming video and more! The Bridges collection is an addition to the library’s collection of NLS and Iowa Library for the Blind produced books. Patrons can check out and download their own books from the Bridges site. It is a very easy process. To check out items from Bridges follow the steps below:
- Go to the Bridges site: https://bridges.overdrive.com
- Choose the Sign In button
- Choose the Iowa Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped from the list of libraries
- Enter your library card number and hit Sign In. Your library card number is your patron ID number and starts with the letter P followed by five or six digits. If you don’t know this number, call the library and we can tell you!
- Now you can search the collection!
- Once you find a book or other material you are interested in, select it and hit Borrow.
- Then you must select Borrow again.
- You will be given the opportunity to read it with a Kindle, read it in your browser or read it as an epub.
Things to keep in mind:
- We share this collection with participating libraries throughout the state, so there may be a wait list for the book you are interested in. Not all books will be available all the time. You are able to put a hold on the book you want and you will then receive an email when the book is available.
- The books or videos are borrowed for a set time and will automatically expire at end of the designated time (usually two weeks).
- There are no late fees!
If you have any questions about Bridges, please call the library at 515-281-1323.