The Iowa Department for the Blind (IDB) will be holding parent listening sessions via Zoom on Monday, May 11th at 10:00 am and Thursday, May 14th at 7:00 pm. Parents are invited to attend one or both of the sessions. Connection information is below.
IDB is working to launch several new cross-program initiatives to help youth gain independent living skills, develop self-efficacy, and be prepared for the world of work and adult life. We have been hearing from parents for several years about the need for additional support, resources, and training so that they can help their children take on age appropriate responsibilities, keep up with their peers, and make the transition from school to work in a way that results in their children becoming independent, well-adjusted, and successful adults. . One of these initiatives is the development of a parent advisory committee and a youth advisory committee to help guide our programs. We believe it is very important to ensure that our activities remain responsive to the needs of those we serve. In order to gain information that will guide our program design teams, we are inviting parents of blind and low vision youth to share their thoughts, ideas, and needs at our virtual listening sessions.
Possible Discussion Questions:
- If we were to host regular webinars about technology, what topics would you like us to cover?
- After the current crisis has past, what do you feel you would most benefit from in an in-person conference or training?
- What are the best times of day, times of the year, for online or in person events?
- If we were to create a parent and family webpage or blog, what would you hope to find there?
- If we were to bring in speakers, either in person or virtually, such as subject matter experts or blind people working in different occupations, would you attend and do you have any suggestions for what folks you would like to hear from and talk with?
- What questions do you have about IDB services and how do you think we can better communicate what we have to offer?
- What forms of communication do you find most helpful? Email, Facebook, phone, etc.?
- What training, services or support do you feel is most lacking for you and your child/ren?
- What has you most concerned for your child/ren’s future?
- What, if any, items or services from IDB have you found to be the most helpful
Zoom Connection Information:
These listening sessions will be held on Monday, May 11th at 10:00 am and Thursday, May 14th at 7:00 pm.
Join Zoom Meeting Link https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81413732909
Meeting ID: 814 1373 2909
One tap mobile
Dial In+1 312 626 6799
Meeting ID: 814 1373 2909