Happy birthday, Roald Dahl! Today we celebrate Roald Dahl Day, 100 years since his birth and it is a global celebration. Dahl was a great storyteller and author of children’s books like, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, The BFG and Matilda.
Roald Dahl said, “If you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it and above all become passionate about it.”
Here is a link of the books in our collection by Roald Dahl in audio, braille, large print and descriptive video (VHS).
Link to Roald Dahl Titles on our Online Catalog
Roald Dahl is well known for his use of inventive language and the words he made up. It is called Gobblefunk, after the BFG’s instruction to Sophie: ‘Don’t gobblefunk around with words.’ Here is a few trivia questions to test your Dahl and Gobblefunk knowledge.
1. What are the people called that work in Willy Wonka’s chocolate factory in exchange for chocolate? They love music and dancing and often make up songs to sing.
A. Nishnobblers B. Oompa-Loompas C. Plushnuggets
2. Which Gobblefunk word means ‘delicious’ or ‘very tasty’?
A. luctuous B. uckyslush C. delumptious
3. What word did Roald Dahl invent to mean ‘cheerful’? For example, the BFG says ‘a few gollops of frobscottle is always making me _________again.’
A. hopscotchy B. cockles C. catasterous
4. Who eats an entire chocolate cake in front of the whole school in Matilda?
A. Mrs. Wormwood B. Bruce Bogtrotter C. Jennifer
5. In James and the Giant Peach what outdoor chore is James doing while Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker drink lemonade?
A. Chopping Wood B. Cleaning C. Cooking
Answers to trivia questions: 1.B, 2. C, 3. A, 4. B, 5. A